Throwing money at marketing challenges may seem like a great place to start, but it does little good if the copy and the headline doesn’t grab anyone’s attention. For this episode, Robert Mayo, professional auctioneer and writing/marketing enthusiast, joins me to discuss the topic of headlines and copywriting. Sharing his secrets, Robert discusses some great techniques to improve the impact of the written word for your next campaign.
3 Steps for Greater Headline Impact!
Step 1: Consider your asset: create a demographic profile
- Where they live
- Income level
Step 2: Put yourself into the position of that person
- Ask yourself: How would I respond?
- Would I glance past?
- Would it STOP me, and grab my attention?
Step 3: Focus 80% of your time on the headline
- None of the copy will even be seen if the headline doesn’t grab the viewer.
- Write 5 or 6 and set aside and then come back to see what you like best.
- Have someone not connected to the project read the headline to get an outsiders point of view.
Robert’s Book Recommendation
Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples
The Fast Talking Podcast is a small business building podcast as seen through the lense of auctioneers and auction professionals. Focusing on social media, marketing strategies, finance, operations, human resources, and time management, we provide focused discussions on important topics weekly.